Creative Galaxy is a positive and intelligent Amazon original animated series available on Amazon Prime Instant Video. There are an abundance of animated series out there to choose from, but my struggle as a thoughtful (over-thinking) parent is finding one that won’t fill my children’s head with junk inconsistent with the values and aspirations my husband and I wish for in our children.
I’ve noticed that many cartoons, even the “age exact” cartoons, have some component that may glorify conflict (to the point of violence) and perpetuate sexism. I feel guilty enough as a Mom who works long hour, I don’t need to add child neglect in the form of exposing my children to cartoons that do nothing more than steal precious moments from their childhood. When my kids watch cartoons, I need there to be a clear value add, and since they are too young for my top 10 favorite public broadcasting documentaries, they should at least watch shows that activate their minds and imaginations in some capacity.
Created by Out of the Blue Enterprises with Angela Santomero (Super Why!, Blues Clues), Creative Galaxy is a make-along, create-along, interactive art adventure series for preschoolers. Characters Arty and Epiphany travel around the galaxy to solve problems with art, inspiring creative thinking through crafts, music and dance. To give kids and parents the real-life tools they need to re-create Arty’s experience, a live-action piece at the end of each animated episode will take viewers through the craft project that Arty showcased in the galaxy.
It’s the little things that make you smile with show. The first episode introduces a kid’s kid, Arty, who directly engages the audience by speaking directly through the TV screen and to your children. Arty is an artsy alien with a baby wearing working mom. This shows bring to light the art of daily life and highlights the importance of artistic expression to both the artist and the observer. Pretty dang impressive for a show geared toward preschoolers! There is this create along aspect of the show that may my kids beam with pride! When I came home from work they immediately show me the cool thing they made with my sister after watching the first episode!
There is something so wonderful in knowing that your children were happily engaged by knowledge of art as complex as Seurat and as simple as cotton ball creatures in the span of a few minutes, Harvard here they come!
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 trailer was released today and it exceeded my many expectations. The film choices that delineated from the original novel were spot on! I imagined District 13 to be a little more plastic and fake like a utilitarian version of m the Capitol, but they went for a concrete the great thing did with this book was to try to capture the war, the narrative of battle, the narrative of loss, and you understand it more clearly in the films! I’m really excited for the third and fourth films in this franchise; the caliber of directors, actors, and overall production is so impressive and exceeds almost every other young adult novel to film adaptation! This trailer gave me life, I am so excited for this film!
Something interesting delineation from the book and insights from the trailer:
1. Katniss having a direct conversation with Snow: In the novels Katniss and President Snow only communicate through the propaganda commercials.
2. Effie Trinket in District 13: Effie Trinket was missing for almost all of the third novel, then shows up at the very end with some sentence indicating she was Snow’s prisoner. Effie became more alive in the films so I am excited t see what having her in district 13 will bring!
3. The Mockingjay outfit: They actually made the outfit more like a useful battle garment, which is not what I imagined Cinna.
4. The relationship between Finnick and Katniss: My favorite parts of the book were when this kind of Playboy Finnick became a real person and a real confidant for Katniss so much so that even our precious Gale is jealous of him.
5. Gale and Katniss: Something that really stuck to me while watching this trailer is the fact of Gale and Katniss have this very intense and intertwined history and present together: they survive starvation as children, Gail takes on the task of caring for her family in the event she didn’t return from the arena, and they are comrades in war! To think about where this relationship leads and that they may spend their adulthood strangers saddens me.
Please excuse my absence! Over a week ago after returning from a very spiritual and emotional “walk through the dessert” with some very amazing female leaders, I was thrown from my board after going down hill on a steep trail behind our home. I sustained a plethora of ugly injuries and had surgery yesterday on my elbow!